Monday, March 10, 2008

The SCA, etc.

March 10, 1255AD

Greeting Lords and Ladies,

I decided to write about the Society of Creative Anachronism (SCA.org) for my first Thought Piece. The SCA is a nearly 40-year-old organization that, metaphorically speaking, provides a 21st century time machine that allows a participant to live out their dream of being a knight, a beautifully dressed lady of the court, a person of nobility, a Viking, or craftsman in varying degrees of immersion, all the while not living in the plague-ridden, war torn European society of the Middle Ages.

I conducted interviews of several of my friends who participate in the SCA as well. It was a great way to gain a new perspective on why they enjoy the SCA. This was tougher paper than I had expected. It made me look inward and ask WHY the SCA?

The pursuit and development of Self and cool friends were two core aspects that seem to come up most often. The SCA has helped me discover what I can do creatively with my hands as well as having a Zen-like manner in making my armour kit or designing my shield.

The SCA fighting also pushes me physically and mentally. The physical combat can be therapeutic. Developing a strategy, thinking through a fight and learning from your mistakes are key.

The SCA also brings a sense of honor, humility, loyalty, and grace. Whether you are facing your opponent on the battlefield, in court, or back at your camp, these are virtues that I conduct myself not only in the SCA, but in life as well.

From my interviews, there was a tremendous feeling of great friendship with some really cool like-minded people who participate in the SCA. I know I would not be involved in traveling several hours to camp overnight, fight, creating medieval armour projects if I did not have some cool people to hang with. That is what keeps a lot of people in the SCA. It certainly made me appreciate the SCA and how it helps me even more.

On the photo side of things, it’s been a bit frustrating to schedule my subjects, mostly from my work schedule and I feel trapped shooting inside because of winter (when will spring get here!!?). But I have begun to play w/ some anachronism, reality vs. fantasy, alter personas, and transition from modern to medieval themes. Mostly doing a lot of sketch work to develop better ideas.

I had a great meeting with my mentor Peter last Friday the 7th. It was great to see a different perspective on how my work translates to someone who knows nothing about the medieval and helps clarify my vision. Peter has made me look in a deeper way about the alter persona, modern vs. medieval, creating more tension in a photograph. Good stuff…

I know I need to explore/learn symbolism in Art. I think this would help add more depth and content in my photos. My wife bought me book recently on Renaissance Art and Symbolism that should be fun.

Vi et virtute,
Mark

No comments: